Friday, December 9, 2011

Talent vs. Tenacity

I have known many extremely talented writers who were never published.

I have known writers who struggled -- who were marginally talented, but kept plugging away even after being demolished by critique groups and editors.

These marginally talented (and in some cases not very talented at all) writers who stuck in there and kept at it were published.

So I ask myself: is it more important to be talented or driven? Of course, the best option is to be both. To have a fire in your belly and skills at your fingertips.

You can be as talented as all get-out, but if you don't apply your butt to the chair every day and your fingers to the keyboard, chances are very great that you will never be published.

So, let's raise our virtual glasses of ale to the bulldogs among us -- those inspiring individuals who grab hold of a dream and won't let go.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Debby. This is so very true. Talent means nothing if you don't keep your fingers on the keys. I was having a discussion about that just this morning with me.
    Hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete